Strong report for the month of June with sales up 0.6% from May to June and up 2.7% versus June 2015. On the downside, May was revised down to 0.2% versus the 0.5% previously reported.
The top 3 growth businesses remained the same:
- Non-store/online retailers posted a record 14.2% gain over last year. Keep in mind that last month was already a stellar 12.2% year over year gain. Also keep in mind that July should be healthy based on the Prime Day reports already surfacing.
- Heath and personal care stores posted the 2nd largest year over year increase for June with a 8.4% gain
- Building material & garden equipment picked up on the growth pace prior to last month posting a 7.6% year over year gain
On the downside, the bottom 3 (excluding gasoline) remained the same:
- The Electronics vacuum of sales to online continues with a decline of 4.7%. No surprise here as Non-store's gain is usually electronics' loss.
- Department Stores multi-decade decline continued with a decline of 3.7% year over year which is actually slightly better than the 5%+ drop last month
- Clothing & Clothing accessories stores saw a decline of 0.9% year over year
Non-store (online) is truly at an even steeper inflection point while health, building and restaurants remain hot. The continued weakness in Electronics and Department Stores with combined weakness in Clothing Stores highlights why Non-store (online) is doing so well.
May Retail Sales can be found here.
April Retail Sales can be found here.
March Retail Sales can be found here.
February Retail Sales can be found here.
January Retail Sales can be found here.
December Retail Sales can be found here.